THE OBAMACARE DECADE: Top healthcare leaders who worked for Trump, Obama, and Bush share the biggest healthcare developments of the 2010s
- The 2010s were a decade defined by massive advancements in biology and health.
- The US saw a generational shift in health policy, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. At the same time, genomics and the use of new treatments that harness the body's immune system changed the way we treat cancer.
- The Business Insider healthcare team looked back at our reporting and turned to the experts to break out the decade's biggest healthcare developments.
- Subscribe to Dispensed, Business Insider's weekly healthcare newsletter.
- Click here for more BI Prime stories.
The 2010s were a decade of healthcare contradictions.
The US saw the biggest gains for health coverage in half a century with the enactment of the Affordable Care Act. We also saw opioid-linked deaths skyrocket as the drug-addiction epidemic continued. In a particularly troubling turn, US life expectancy has been on the decline, too.
To understand the decade, we talked to five top healthcare leaders from the administrations of President Donald Trump, President Barack Obama, and President George W. Bush: Seema Verma, Andy Slavitt, Kathleen Sebelius, Mark McClellan, and Mike Leavitt.
Here's what they told us.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Best voltage stabilizers for home in India
- Asus teases the ROG Phone 6 gaming phone — confirmed to feature IPX4 splash-resistance
- Supercomputers are faster and more powerful — but need to be more energy-efficient
- Best hair removal cream for women in India
- Sensex, Nifty maintain 3-day streak, rally by nearly 1%