The US coronavirus death toll has surpassed 2,000, doubling in just 2 days
- The United States' death toll for the novel coronavirus has surpassed 2,000, doubling in just two days.
- As of Saturday evening, there were 122,666 coronavirus cases across the United States and 2,147 deaths.
- New York state has become a hotspot for the virus, with the highest number of cases in any state, and 672 deaths reported as of Saturday.
- Globally, there were 662,073 coronavirus cases and 30,779 deaths.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
More than 2,000 people have died in the United States after testing positive for the novel coronavirus, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.The deaths have more than doubled since Thursday, when American health officials reported 1,000 deaths. Prior to that, roughly one month lapsed between the first reported coronavirus death in the US and the 1,000th.
As of Saturday evening, there were 122,666 coronavirus cases across the United States and 2,147 deaths.New York state, in particular, has become a hotspot for the virus, with the highest number of cases in any state.
New York was reporting 672 deaths as of Saturday evening. Of those deaths, 527 of the patients had reported underlying health conditions and 479 of them were aged 65 or older.President Donald Trump mused on Saturday about imposing a quarantine on the states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, where the virus has been spreading quickly. But he backed down Saturday evening, tweeting that the measure would "not be necessary," and saying he would direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to issue a travel advisory instead.
Globally, there were 662,073 coronavirus cases and 30,779 deaths.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
- MPs should put pressure on Centre to include Kerala's demands in central budget:CM
- Final stage of Budget 2021-22 commences with Halwa ceremony
- Farmers' Protest: Local eateries facing tough time due to free langars at Singhu Border
- Venture Capital funding in India hits $3.1 billion in Q4 of 2020, says KPMG report
- A scary proposal to use facial recognition and AI by an Indian state has experts fuming