The world just passed 1 million COVID-19 infections. It's been just 3 months since the first new coronavirus case was reported in China.
- The new coronavirus has now infected more than 1 million people worldwide.
- It's been only three months since the first COVID-19 case was reported in Wuhan, China on December 31, 2019.
- More than 51,000 people have died worldwide; at least 208,000 have recovered, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
- The coronavirus outbreak, which was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization on March 11, has spread to 181 countries.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The number of people who have been infected by the coronavirus is now more than 1 million.The COVID-19 outbreak, which started in Wuhan, China three months ago, has hit at least 181 countries, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.Advertisement
The US, with 234,000 cases, has the highest number of infected people - about one-quarter of the world's total. Italy has 115,000 cases, Spain has reported 110,000, and China has seemingly plateaued at 82,000 cases.
On March 11, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus a pandemic.
Ciro De Luca/REUTERS
At least one-third of the world is under some type of lockdown due to the pandemic (90% of Americans are under stay-at-home orders). Governments are ordering people to stay home and socially distance themselves from others outside their immediate families to curb the spread of the virus.Global efforts to "flatten the curve," so as not to overwhelm existing healthcare systems with cases, seem to be working slowly, if at all, as the daily coronavirus case count continues to rise.Advertisement
Here is a timeline of some of the most significant events and moments of the pandemic.
Featured Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry Explained
- Value-Based Care Explained
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market
- Smart Medical Devices & Wearable Tech
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Explained- AI in Medical Diagnosis Systems
- ICICI Bank pledges Rs 4 crore for cyclone-hit West Bengal
- 13 employees of Delhi LG office test COVID-19 positive, 6 other govt officials infected too
- There is risk aversion at borrowers' end, says SBI Chairman
- PTI tally of COVID-19 cases and deaths in India at 9:45pm
- COVID-19: Chandigarh reports fifth death, total cases in UT rise to 301