The Wuhan coronavirus has killed more people than SARS in mainland China
- The death toll for the Wuhan coronavirus in mainland China has overtaken that of SARS, which killed 349 people in the early 2000s, according to Chinese media.
- As of the end of the day on Sunday, the death toll on the mainland was 361, with more than 17,200 infected. The latter figure vastly exceeds the mainland case count for SARS, which was just over 5,000.
- Chinese state-linked CGTN reports that over 480 people infected by the new coronavirus have recovered.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus (nCoV-2019) that originated in Wuhan, China has killed more people in mainland China than severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) did when it shook China in the early 2000s, according to Chinese media.As of the end of the day on Sunday, the number of deaths in the mainland had risen to 361, a figure exceeding the 349 deaths caused by SARS. The number of infected in China is up to more than 17,200, a figure which vastly exceeds the 5,327 case count recorded by the World Health Organization for the mainland during the 2003 SARS outbreak.
While the Wuhan coronavirus appears to be less deadly than its predecessor, which killed more than 6 percent of all who were infected in mainland China, the situation could change.The virus has already spread across China and to around two dozen countries. But the area hit hardest is the Hubei province, of which Wuhan is the provincial capital.
China has been fighting to get the situation under control. Whole cities have been shut down to slow the spread, and makeshift hospitals have been constructed in a matter of days. In some cases, drastic measures have been taken to prevent the current situation from worsening.On Saturday, the National Health Commission, together with the Ministry of Civil Affairs and the Ministry of Public Security, issued trial guidelines that ordered immediate cremation of deceased victims of the Wuhan coronavirus without funerals.The first person to succumb to the virus outside of mainland China died in the Philippines Saturday. The World Health Organization has declared the present situation a global health emergency.
- PL 2021: Here’s a look at how Punjab Kings vs CSK play against each other
- Goa and Gurugram recorded highest single day of covid 19 cases today
- Wipro fears it may lose its employees to competitors as there is an explosion of IT jobs
- Citibank to exit consumer banking business in India
- Checkout what is allowed and what is not in the new guidelines issued by the Delhi government