Wear masks that are comfortable and fit well for 'best' protection against Omicron, CDC says
- US mask recommendation "won't change", Rochelle Walenksy, head of the
CDC, has said.
- Prices for high-quality
maskshave surged as people try protect themselves against Omicron.
The best mask for protecting against
All Americans are encouraged to wear a "well-fitting mask" to protect themselves and stop the spread of COVID-19, Rochelle Walensky, director at the CDC, said during a White House press briefing Wednesday.
"That recommendation is not going to change," she said.
Walensky said the "best mask" is one that fits well and that people can tolerate wearing.
"The best mask that you can — that you wear is the one that you will wear and the one you can keep on all day long — that you can tolerate in public, indoor settings and tolerate where you need to wear it," she said.
Jeff Zients, the White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator, said in the briefing that included multiple-layered cloth masks and medical-grade masks, such as N95s and K95s.
Those high-quality masks are most effective at blocking infectious particles, helping to limit the spread of the virus. Demand has risen since November, when Omicron started spreading in the US, triggering a surge in prices.
A pack of 40 KN95 masks from Hotodeal now costs $79.99 on Amazon, a hike from $16.99 in late November, data from price tracker camelcamelcamel shows.
Zients said White House officials were "strongly considering" options to make more high-quality masks available for all Americans, but would "continue to follow the
The CDC is "in the lead," he said, adding that there was a stockpile of more than 750 million N95 masks available for
Walensky said that the CDC was preparing to update its website with information to help people choose the "right" mask for them.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group
- Axis MF launches a Nasdaq 100 focused Fund of Fund
- RBI directs credit information companies to appoint internal ombudsman
- 5G could be India’s next growth engine, and a successful rollout hinges on telcos, govt policies
- Ambani family has been target of threats over the years