What to know about the coronavirus outbreak in 8 charts
- The coronavirus outbreak that originated in Wuhan, China has spread to 37 other countries.
- The disease, named COVID-19, has killed more than 2,700 people and infected more than 80,000. (For the latest case total and death toll, see Business Insider's live updates here.)
- Here's what to know about the coronavirus - including symptoms, spread, and travel warnings - in eight charts.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
A dramatic uptick in coronavirus cases outside of China this week has sparked new fears about the outbreak's potential to become a pandemic.While the World Health Organization has yet to declare it a pandemic, the illness is being diagnosed among hundreds of people in pockets of South Korea, Iran, and Italy.
"We expect we will see community spread in this country," Nancy Messonier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press conference."It's more of a question of when," she added.
The US and other nations have implemented mandatory 14-day quarantine measures for all people who may have been exposed to the virus.Since the first case of COVID-19 - the respiratory disease caused by the virus - in December, more than 80,000 people have been infected across 38 countries. Although about 80% of these cases are mild, research suggests older people with existing health issues are more at risk of severe complications like difficulty breathing and lung infections.These eight charts lay out what to know as the outbreak continues to grow.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends
Where cases have been confirmed so far:
South Korea saw its first coronavirus case on January 20, and the total grew to 104 over the next month. In the last week, however, the number of cases in South Korea jumped by more than 800%.Advertisement
This chart shows the rate at which the novel coronavirus has spread.
The total number of cases and deaths have far surpassed those of the SARS outbreak.Advertisement
The virus' pneumonialike symptoms include fever and difficulty breathing.
The US has reported 57 coronavirus cases, including 43 repatriated citizens who were evacuated from Wuhan and from the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship that docked in Japan.Advertisement
The Department of Defense and CDC have approved at least 15 US military bases as quarantine camps.
The US state department and CDC have issued travel warnings for countries affected by the coronavirus.Advertisement
- Neera Tanden withdraws her nomination to head White House budget office amid bipartisan opposition over tweets. (AP) CK
- Public to be allowed to watch Karna assembly budget session
- Delhi Assembly's budget session to begin on March 8
- Patanjali’s Acharya Balkrishna is the biggest loser on Hurun’s Rich List of Indian billionaires
- Delhi CM announces Sharman Joshi-starrer movie 'Fauji Calling' tax free in Delhi