Billionaire hedge fund boss Ken Griffin paid $8 million to fly to space with Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin — but will donate his seat to a New York schoolteacher, report says
- Billionaire hedge fund boss Ken Griffin paid $8 million for a seat on a
Blue Originspace flight.
- The Citadel founder placed the winning bid at a charity auction Monday night, Bloomberg reported.
Billionaire hedge fund manager Ken Griffin has paid $8 million for a ticket to ride a Blue Origin
The Citadel founder won a seat on a
The $8 million Griffin paid represents a $20 million price drop from the first ticket sold for a crewed Blue Origin
The proceeds from Monday's seat sale will go to the Robin Hood foundation, a charity fighting poverty in New York, Bloomberg said. The ride bought by Griffin is set to take place in the first half of 2023, per Bloomberg.
Blue Origin didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
The winning bid for a seat on Blue Origin's first crewed mission, which went to auction almost a year ago, was $28 million. The winner, crypto entrepreneur Justin Sun, ultimately gave his seat to 18-year-old Oliver Daemen, son of the CEO of Somerset Capital Partners, an investment firm. The money raised from that auction went to Blue Origin's foundation Club for the Future.
On Monday, Blue Origin announced the passengers for its fifth crewed launch to the edge of space. They include investor Evan Dick; Katya Echazarreta, a former NASA test lead and the first Mexican-born woman to fly to space; and the businessmen Jaison Robinson and Victor Vescovo.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000