Blue Origin adds an 18-year-old passenger to Bezos' spaceflight after the anonymous bidder who paid $28 million for the ride had 'scheduling conflicts'
Blue Originrevealed the final passenger on Jeff Bezosspaceflight: 18-year-old Oliver Daemen.
- Daemen replaces the anonymous bidder who paid $28 million for the seal at an auction last month.
- The auction winner will fly on a future mission instead "due to scheduling conflicts."
On July 20, Blue Origin will send the youngest-ever person to
The space exploration company announced Thursday that 18-year-old Oliver Daemen will fly onboard its
Blue Origin said in a blog post announcing the news that Daemen will its the first paying customer, though he is not the person who bid $28 million for the seat at an auction last month - the company said that that person, who is still choosing to remain anonymous, will fly on a future mission "due to scheduling conflicts."
According to CNBC, Daemen participated in the auction and had already secured a seat on Blue Origin's second flight, but the company "moved him up" when the auction winner deferred. Daemen's father, Joes, the CEO of Somerset Capital Partners, paid for the seat, CNBC reports.
Daemen, who graduated from high school last year, has obtained his pilots license and will study physics and innovation management at the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands in September.
Blue Origin's New Shepard spacecraft - which was cleared for takeoff by the FAA on Monday - is scheduled for liftoff at 9 a.m. ET on July 20.
The flight will take Bezos and company 62 miles above Earth to the edge of space. Inside the spacecraft, the passengers will have three minutes to float around and view Earth from afar or gaze into the depths of outer space.
- Rishi Sunak on spending spree on skills, healthcare in UK Budget
- New IPL teams: BCCI expecting anything between ₹7,000-₹10,000 crore with Adani, Goenka, Aurobindo in fray
- Chip shortage hits new brands in tough Indian laptop market
- Petrol and diesel prices hiked again by 35 paise for fifth consecutive day across the country
- India vs Pakistan at ICC T20 World Cup: The ‘Men in Blue’ have a definite advantage in this one