NASA picks California-based space company Astra Space to launch TROPICS mission
CubeSats are a class of research spacecraft called nanosatellites.
The launch service contract for the Time-Resolved Observations of Precipitation Structure and Storm Intensity with a Constellation of SmallSats (TROPICS) mission is a firm fixed-price contract valued at $7.95 million, NASA said on Friday.
AdvertisementAstra Space will launch the CubeSats on the company's Rocket 3 from Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands with three separate launches over a 120-day period.
The TROPICS mission is targeted for launch between January 8 and July 31, 2022, under a
The CubeSats, each the size of a shoebox, will provide rapid-refresh microwave measurements that can be used to determine temperature, pressure, and humidity inside hurricanes as they form and evolve.
The TROPICS mission's high-revisit imaging and sounding observations are enabled by microwave technology developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Lincoln Laboratory.
These observations are expected to improve scientists' understanding of processes driving high-impact storms.
Bharat Bandh – over eight crore traders across India shut shop in protest against rising fuel prices and changes in GST rules
EXCLUSIVE: Ignore low CIBIL score for street vendor loans, work on holidays, and other diktats from Indian government to banks rushing to meet March target
India now allows you to avail a discount on flight ticket if you are not carrying a check-in baggage
- India surpasses 2 lakh mark in daily COVID-19 cases with 1038 new fatalities
- Macrotech Developers IPO — check share allotment date, listing date and more
- Throwback to some of the best IPL ads made over the years
- Infosys, Wipro, HDFC Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 15
- India's largest opposition party blames national media for its lack of influence — but its new YouTube channel may only be targeting the Hindi belt