Security Expert Bruce Schneier: History Will Hail Edward Snowden As A Hero
As you might expect, he has some strong opinions on the
Writing on his blog, Schneier explains that Snowden "broke the law by releasing classified information. This isn't under debate...It's written in plain English on the documents you have to sign when you get a security clearance, and it's part of the culture. The law is there for a good reason, and secrecy has an important role in military defense."
But should the information Snowden released have even been classified in the first place? Schneier elaborates:
"Keeping things secret from the people is a very dangerous practice in a democracy, and the government is permitted to do so only under very specific circumstances. Reading the documents leaked so far, I don't see anything that needs to be kept secret."
Surely the existence of a surveillance program such as Prism doesn't need to be kept classified. Shouldn't it be the information gathered by the program that's kept under tight wraps? If Snowden had hypothetically leaked a public figure's search history or details of private phone calls, surely that's the greater wrong that confirming the existence of domestic spying technology.
We're inclined to agree with Scheneier's conclusion here:
"I believe that history will hail Snowden as a hero – his whistle-blowing exposed a surveillance state and a secrecy machine run amok. I'm less optimistic of how the present day will treat him, and hope that the debate right now is less about the man and more about the government he exposed."
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- HealthifyMe sacks about 150 employees, says growth didn't keep pace with hiring
- Ayushmann Khurrana's 'Doctor G' set for OTT debut on Netflix
- Expect Nifty to end the December series on a positive note, reach a target of 18,900-19,000, says R Venkataraman of IIFL Securities
- Lucknow set to become zero-Covid city
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World