Serena Williams missed her daughter's first steps because she was training for Wimbledon: 'I cried'
- Serena Williams is currently competing in the 2018 Wimbledon Championships, and training for the event meant she missed her daughter take her first steps.
- Williams admitted on Twitter that she cried when she was told what she had missed.
- Williams is four matches away from winning an eighth women's Wimbledon title - and she will likely be cheered every step of the way by both her husband and her daughter.
- Read all of Business Insider's Wimbledon coverage here.
Serena Williams missed her daughter's first steps because she was training at the 2018 Wimbledon Championships - and it made her cry.
Williams is looking to land her first tennis major after returning to sport following the birth of Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr.
Williams won the 2017 Australian Open while eight weeks pregnant and took the rest of the year off. She returned to WTA events earlier in 2018 and is looking better and better with every match she plays.
Now at Wimbledon, where she faces Evgeniya Rodina on Monday, Williams is one match away from a coveted quarter-final place - but her success in the competition has meant that she missed out on a life milestone.
Williams said: "She took her first steps … I was training and missed it. I cried."
Williams, regardless, remains the "greatest momma of all time" according to her husband and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.
To mark his wife's comeback to sport, Ohanian installed four giant billboards in California before Williams was scheduled to take part in the WTA tour event at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells in March.
Williams lost in the third round at Indian Wells to her sister Venus Williams. She withdrew from the fourth round at the French Open against Maria Sharpova, her first major since giving birth, citing injury.
At Wimbledon, Williams is currently four matches away from an eighth women's championship title - and she will likely be cheered on by both her husband and her daughter.
She took her first steps... I was training and missed it. I cried.- Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) July 7, 2018
NOW WATCH: Here's why the US Men's team sucks at soccer
- EVTRIC, a new brand of electric scooters hit the market starting at a little less than ₹65,000
- Realme’s sub-brand DIZO launches its first budget smartwatch in India at ₹3,499
- Radico launches a music video to honour Indian athletes at the Tokyo Olympics
- ₹10,000 invested in IRCTC shares on listing is worth more than ₹38,000 today — the record could get even better
- e-RUPI explained — India’s new electronic voucher-based payment system to reduce leakage in welfare programmes