Shock UK general election poll puts Liberal Democrats in first place
Ken Jack/Getty Images
- Liberal Democrats are the most popular party in Britain according to a shock new poll.
- The YouGov poll puts Vince Cable's party on 24% ahead of the Brexit Party on 22%.
- Labour and the Conservatives are trailing on 19%.
- It suggests Britain is heading for another hung parliament with a minority Labour government.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
LONDON - An extraordinary new opinion poll has put the Liberal Democrats in first place, in the wake of major gains for the party in the European elections.The YouGov poll puts Vince Cable's party on 24% ahead of the Brexit Party on 22% and Labour and the Conservatives both trailing on 19%.Advertisement
It is the first time the Lib Dems have led a national opinion poll in the UK since the height of "Cleggmania" in the run-up to the 2010 general election.
YouGov poll (changes with 17 May)
- Lib Dem: 24% (+6)
- Brexit Party: 22% (+4)
- Conservatives: 19% (-5)
- Labour: 19% (-5)
- Greens: 8% (+2)
If repeated at a general election, it would result in a hung parliament with no single party able to form a government.Despite being in fourth place, Labour would be expected to win 202 seats with the Liberal Democrats on 119 seats and the Conservatives on 110, according to the Electoral Calculus website.
Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters. Join here.
- Four Delhi cops face heat for misreporting drug seizure
- Former union minister Jaswant Singh passes away at 82
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'