Silicon Valley's favorite designer created a line of tiny homes that cost just $280,000. Take a look inside.
- Designer Yves Béhar has created a new line of prefabricated tiny homes that range from 250 to 1,200 square feet.
- The designs are being touted as a possible solution to the affordable housing crisis in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- The "backyard units" cost around $280,000, but Béhar plan to develop a similar, more affordable model.
Designer Yves Béhar has shepherded along countless products, from laptops and bluetooth headsets to juicers and soda machines. His San Francisco-based design firm, fuseproject, is known for items like SNOO, a robotic bassinet, and Jambox, a speaker that was once seen as America's favorite.
Throughout his extensive career, Béhar has worked with companies like Prada and befriended celebrities like Kanye West. He's co-founded a smart-lock company, August, and a co-working space called Canopy in San Francisco. He even has his own permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art.
When Béhar attaches himself to a project, it's safe to assume that it represents the future of design in one form or another.
It comes as no surprise, then, that his latest venture is a line of prefabricated tiny homes that range from 250 to 1,200 square feet.
The idea was inspired by new laws in California that promote the development of accessory dwelling units (ADUs), or small, secondary units located on a residential property. The most recent legislation, which went into effect in January, reduces parking requirements and allows ADUs to be built in single-family zoning districts.
Read more: These 3D-printed homes can be built for less than $4,000 in just 24 hours
Béhar touts his new homes as a way to increase housing stock in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco, which are undergoing a housing affordability crisis.
"The best approach to adding density in California is to build on existing land," he said.
Take a look at his vision for the future of housing.
Béhar's sustainable design can be tailored to suit different climates.
Windows can be customized to allow for privacy or additional light.
The units cost around $280,000, including all the finishes and fixtures.
Béhar plans to design a similar model for less than $100,000.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala