So many people want Stephen King to endorse their books he's built a pile he calls 'the guilt table'
Larry French/Getty Images
The award-winning author has written dozens of books and short stories, including those that have been adapted into films such as "The Dark Tower."
Everyone wants King's voice on their side - or, more accurately, on their book.
So many people want a few sentences from the renowned author that King has a pile of books yet to be read that he's named "the guilt table," writes Alexandra Alter in a New York Times review of Gabriel Tallent's bestselling debut novel "My Absolute Darling."
Alter writes that "My Absolute Darling" is so beloved by critics that King offered his endorsement unsolicited, calling the book a "masterpiece."
Securing that endorsement is even more impressive than it sounds, considering the competition. Here's Alter:
"Mr. King, who gets so many requests for blurbs that he has a teeming pile of books in his office that he calls 'the guilt table,' offered an unsolicited endorsement of 'My Absolute Darling' after he tore through an advanced copy of the 400-plus-page novel in three days.
'It's a first novel and he's got everything working,' Mr. King said. 'When I read it the first thing I thought was, I couldn't do this, and I've been doing it for 40 years.'"
If your own "guilt table" - or guilt night table, desk, or Kindle queue - isn't overflowing, we have some ideas for how to fill it: Perhaps start with our list of the 15 best business books of all time, and fill in the gaps with the perfect audiobooks for any commute.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Covid hit mental health of kids, young people harder than thought
- Smog envelops Delhi, AQI remains in 'very poor' category
- Egypt president to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World