SoftBank’s latest investment in Jasper Infotech might bring its valuation down to half
Also read: Nirmala Sitharaman to investigate Snapdeal’s payment defaults
If the transaction takes place, SnapDeal would become the latest top-tier Indian Internet company to cut down its valuation, after cab aggregator Ola and Zomato.
In its last funding round led by Canada's Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in February 2016, Jasper was valued at $6.5 billion. However, in late 2014 to early 2015, it was valued below $3 billion because of stake sales by shareholders to other investors.
However, industry analysts are of the view that a company raising capital at lower valuations does not necessarily indicate bad times.
"Regardless of valuation, the fact that money is available is a good sign," said Harish HV, partner, India Leadership team, Grant Thornton India. "It means investors, whether new or existing, haven't yet given up on the company and that there is meat left. It's a sign of bullishness."
As per reports, this fresh funding would come with stricter rules regarding financial control.
"Earlier cheques were written after SnapDeal submitted annual operating plans. Now Soft-Bank will ask for SnapDeal's monthly budgets, approve them, and then remit the funds," said one of the aforementioned sources.
In the recent past, SnapDeal, India’s third largest online marketplace after Flipkart and Amazon India, has seen little growth and has been marred by losses, and tremors in upper management.
AdvertisementAlso read: Snapdeal founders admit to 'wrong moves', take 100% salary cut
(Image source: SatyaVijayi)
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- India’s most gruesome murders and their deadly modus operandi
- JioTag — A pocket-friendly alternative to Apple AirTag for finding your lost belongings
- Realme 11 Pro Plus vs Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus – the under ₹30,000 phone to buy
- How Tata Communications plans to chart its financial turnaround
- Railway jobs: 12,000 recruited under 'Rozgar Mela' initiative