Some of Europe's biggest startups just launched a new lobbying group to push their interests
Music streaming service Spotify, mobile games company King, and ride-sharing app BlaBlaCar are among the startups that have come together to form the European Tech Alliance, the new organisation announced on Tuesday morning.
In a statement, the Alliance says it "aims to close the gap in terms of European representation for scale ups and contribute to the Commission's Digital Single Market strategy."
It's being headed up by Niklas Zennström - a cofounder of Skype, who is now CEO of venture capital firm Atomico. "We have formed an alliance to share our collective experience with policymakers and challenge mindsets about Europe, technology, and the Internet," he said in a statement. "There are so many European tech company success stories. We think we will be able to help European leaders understand that Europe is good at tech and show how policymakers can clear the way for the tech industry to grow further."
As well as King, Spotify, and BlaBlaCar, other members include Rovio, SwitkKey, Made.com, and Supercell.
"The next 12 to 18 months will be particularly critical,"Zennström added, "because the European Commission is writing rules to carry out its Digital Single Market strategy, aimed at clearing the way for all tech players - from the EU and beyond - to invest, grow, and prosper in Europe."
Here are all the members:
European Tech Alliance
NOW WATCH: A random guy bought Google.com for $12
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Zee Entertainment, Infosys, HDFC Bank and other top stocks to watch out for on September 22
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon