A British BMX racer who won gold had to crowdfund her Olympic bid because the UK cut her funding to support male competitors
- UK Sport decided after the 2016 Olympics that it could only support male
- So Beth Shriever launched a crowdfunding campaign in 2019 so she could join the Tokyo Games.
- She won a gold medal on Friday.
A British BMX rider who won a gold medal at the
Beth Shriever, 22, launched a crowdfunding campaign in 2019 to raise £50,000 ($69,900) to help her compete in the Tokyo Games, as she does not receive funding from UK Sport, Sky News reported.
UK Sport had decided after the 2016 Olympics that only male riders BMX could be funded for the Tokyo Olympics, the BBC reported.
Shriever had expressed fears in 2019 that the funding situation would mean she couldn't compete at the Olympics.
"My rivals who are all around the world are doing this full time and are funded, so I'm the only one who's not really getting much help," she said, according to the BBC.
"It is worrying and I don't want my dream to compete at Tokyo to be taken away just because of money."
Transport Minister Grant Shapps told Sky News on Friday that he believes Team GB's BMX funding will "doubtless change" following after Shriever won.
"I don't know the specifics of [Shriever's] funding, but I do know that the way that the
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons