A featherweight boxer weighed in 3 classes above his opponent ahead of a world title eliminator, and the promoter responded by kicking him out of his hotel
- A featherweight boxer weighed in three classes above his opponent just a day before his world title eliminator on Saturday.
- Andres Gutierrez was set to face Oscar Valdez for a shot at the WBC super-featherweight world title, however came in an astonishing 11 pounds over the weight limit just a day prior.
- Bob Arum, the fight's promoter, called Gutierrez "a disgrace" and said he was "throwing him out of the hotel," according to the BBC.
- The Mexican's replacement, Adam Lopez, went on to lose to Valdez by TKO in the seventh round.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A featherweight boxer weighed in three weight classes above his opponent just a day before his world title eliminator on Saturday, before being pulled from the fight and kicked out of his hotel by the promoter.The Mexican Andres Gutierrez was set to face off against his countryman Oscar Valdez on November 30 in Las Vegas to decide who would earn a shot at WBC super-featherweight world title holder Miguel Berchelt.
Bob Arum, the fight's promoter, was enraged with the 26-year-old, calling him a "disgrace.""We're throwing him out of the hotel," said Arum after the weigh-in, according to the BBC. "I have seen guys two or three pounds over weight, that is still unprofessional.
"But to come in at 11 pounds overweight is a disgrace - I have never seen anything like it."WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman also condemned Gutierrez, saying on Twitter that the missed weigh-in was a clear indication that he had been trying to dehydrate himself to cut weight in the build-up to the fight. "This is absolutely a clear indication of dangerous tactic by Gutierrez to cut weight," he said. "Weight management program is a top priority for WBC and this case will be fully investigated to its fullest consequences."
Sulaiman also confirmed in a separate tweet that Gutierrez had been officially suspended by the WBC.
Gutierrez was replaced last minute by American Adam Lopez, who was subsequently beaten by Valdez via a seventh round TKO.Read more:
This is absolutely a clear indication of dangerous tactic by Gutierrez to cut weight . Weight management program is a top priority for WBC and this case will be fully investigated to its fullest consequences . This is extremely dangerous pic.twitter.com/HAFVg5PlIv- Mauricio Sulaiman (@wbcmoro) November 29, 2019
- October auto sales estimates — Here’s what to expect from Maruti, M&M, Hero, Bajaj Auto, and other automakers
- Upcoming bike launches in November: From Ducati Multistrada to Royal Enfield Meteor and KTM 250, to 2021 Honda CB1000R, here’s the list
- Researchers identify new drug to treat Covid-19 patients
- Ice drug worth 2 crore seized, 2 held
- Nearly a third of RIL’s profit is shaved off by the dent in refining