A teen tennis star made a touching tribute to New York after playing in the US Open final on September 11th
- Budding Canadian
tennisstar Leylah Fernandezmade a stunning run to this year's US Open final.
- After losing Saturday's match, the 19-year-old made a touching tribute to
New Yorkin honor of 9/11.
- "I hope I can be as strong and as resilient as New York has been the past 20 years," Fernandez said.
Even after her stunning US Open run came to an end, budding Canadian superstar Leylah Fernandez still made an impact on the court in
After losing in the tournament final to fellow teenager Emma Raducanu on Saturday, the 19-year-old stepped to the microphone to make a runner-up speech for the thousands of fans on hand in Flushing Meadows, Queens, and millions more watching from home.
She thanked the home crowd for their support throughout the tournament. But just before passing the mic back, she took a moment to pay tribute to the city on the 20th anniversary of the
"I know on this day it was especially hard for New York and everyone around the United States," Fernandez said through tears. "I just want to say I hope I can be as strong and as resilient as New York has been the past 20 years."
"Thank you for always having my back," she added. "Thank you for cheering for me. I love you New York and hope to see you next year."
Fans at Arthur Ashe Stadium - who were already favorable to Fernandez throughout the competition - erupted in applause. Many rose to their feet to give the eloquent wunderkind a standing ovation, complete with whistling and brandishing of her Canadian flag.
"The New York crowd has been amazing," she said earlier in the speech. "It's been special for me to be here in the finals and having you cheering me on. Thank you so much New York."
Check out Fernandez's full comments following the 2021 US Open final below:
- Best perfumes for men in India in 2021
- Microsoft unveils Surface Duo 2 foldable phone with Snapdragon 888 and 5G
- Vodafone Idea, Zee Entertainment, Airtel and other top stocks to watch out for on September 23
- It’s good that India wants just two GST slabs but it has to ensure it doesn’t hurt consumers
- Best car seat for kids in India