A teenage golf star delivered a tearful thank you to her family after winning the 2021 US Women's Open in sudden death
- Yuka Saso won the 2021 US Women's Open in sudden death on Sunday.
- The 19-year-old made history as the first Filipino golfer ever to win a major tournament.
- Saso broke down while thanking her parents in an emotional interview after the win.
A 19-year-old golf phenom won the 2021 US Women's Open this weekend, making history in the process.
Yuka Saso sank a birdie putt in sudden-death on Sunday to best Japanese star Nasa Hataoka. In doing so, Saso became the first Filipino star to win a major golf tournament. She is just the second teenager ever to hoist the silver trophy from the prestigious event.
"I really didn't feel like I hit any bad golf shots," Saso said, according to the Golf Channel. "That's what this golf course can do to you, and that's what I've said all week."
Saso came to the US Open in San Francisco by way of the LPGA of Japan tour. After her come-from-behind victory, she smiled and celebrated with her caddie, then was overcome with emotion as the magnitude of her feat sunk in.
Saso then gave a tearful interview in which she thanked her family, saying she "wouldn't be here without them."
"To all my friends and fans back in the Philippines and Japan, I'm really thankful," she said through tears. "I hope I can do more better and keep this going."
Watch the full clip below:
-U.S. Women's Open (USGA) (@uswomensopen) June 6, 2021
Saso is hoping to compete at the Tokyo Olympics this summer. The 60 top-ranked women's golfers will qualify for the competition, which is scheduled for August 4-7 at the Kasumigaseki Country Club, per CNN.
Following her win at San Francisco's The Olympic Club Lake Course, Saso holds the No. 9 spot in the Women's World Golf Rankings - vastly improving her chances of making the field in Tokyo. She'll look to carry the momentum from this weekend to upcoming tournaments in order to stay within the cut.
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Maruti cars to cost you more from January next year
- Star Health and Allied Insurance IPO — Here is how to check your allotment status, GMP at a discount
- Best portable photo studios in India
- Best spike guards for home use in India
- Dell Latitude 7320 Review — A good-looking compact convertible let down by the keyboard
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?