A World Cup soccer player awaits surgery after fracturing his jaw and bleeding internally from colliding with his teammate during a match
- A World Cup soccer player is in the hospital awaiting surgery following a horror injury.
- Yasser Al-Shahrani was left with broken bones after a freak clash with a teammate.
Saudi Arabian soccer star Yasser Al-Shahrani is in the hospital awaiting surgery following a horror collision during his nation's opening FIFA World Cup men's match against Argentina in Qatar, according to Reuters.
Al-Shahrani clattered his own goalkeeper Mohammed Al-Owais in a freak accident that left him with severe injuries that included a fractured jaw, broken facial bones, and internal bleeding, The National reporter John McAuley — who is in Qatar — tweeted.
The player left the field on a stretcher.
—John McAuley (@_JMcAuley) November 23, 2022
A statement from the Saudi football federation said Al-Shahrani was initially taken to the Hamad Medical Center in Doha — 14 miles from the Lusail Stadium where Saudi scored its stunning 2-1 win over Argentina on Tuesday.
Early Wednesday morning, medics transported Al-Shahrani 342 miles away to Riyadh's National Guard Hospital so he could continue his treatment, the Saudi football federation said.
"The 30-year-old will now undergo surgery in the next few hours as per the medical staff's recovery plan," the statement said.
"We all wish Yasser a full and speedy recovery."
Saudi Arabia continues its World Cup adventure
While Al-Shahrani's World Cup journey is likely over, his team Saudi Arabia will hope to capitalize on the unlikely momentum it built when it beat Argentina in one of the biggest upsets in the tournament's history.
The win put the Middle Eastern country on top of Group C, two points above Poland and Mexico, which are in second and third place after they tied 0-0 on Tuesday.
Should it remain undefeated in the group stage Saudi Arabia will likely progress to the knockout rounds.
The World Cup concludes with the tournament final on December 18.
- The 100-bagger stocks that survived the test of time and market cycles over 20 years
- Looking to travel abroad? 5 tips to help you save on airfare
- Aprilia RS 457 vs KTM RC 390 – the battle of the sports bikes in India
- Most secluded places in India to visit in 2023
- Relieve constipation naturally with Indian foods: A guide to digestive health