An elite cyclist suffered a freak injury when an errant Prosecco cork hit his eye when he was on the podium
- Eritrean cyclist Biniam Girmay made history this week by winning a stage in the Giro d'Italia.
- He then injured himself on the podium when the cork from a Prosecco bottle exploded on his eye.
An elite cyclist suffered a freak injury when a Prosecco bottle cork hit his eye while he was celebrating on the podium.
Biniam Girmay, an Eritrean athlete, had made history Tuesday as the first Black African to win a stage of one of cycling's prestigious Grand Tours.
The 22-year-old won the 196km 10th stage of the Giro d'Italia after initially riding the wrong way, outlasting Dutch rival Mathieu van der Poel in a dramatic final sprint.
It was Girmay's last contribution in the race, however, as he uncorked a Prosecco bottle and cupped his eye when the cork bounced off his face.
It caused an injury so severe it ruled him out of the rest of the Giro d'Italia.
Watch the celebration, and injury, here:
—Eurosport (@eurosport) May 18, 2022
"Our priority is a complete healing of the injury, and that's why we decided together with the rider and the sports director that Biniam will not appear at the start of the 11th stage," team doctor Piet Daneels said, according to CNN.
He suffered a hemorrhage to the anterior chamber of his left eye.
Giro d'Italia officials have since considered making changes to the event, Cycling News reported Wednesday.
Bottles of sparkling wine are now uncorked in advance to avoid freak injuries occurring again.
Champagne celebrations have been commonplace at cycling and racing events.
CNN reported that even van der Poel, who Girmay had pushed into second place with his 10th stage win this week, was struck by an exploding Prosecco cork last year.
Unlike Girmay, though, van der Poel remained unscathed.
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months