An MMA ref is under fire for imploring a fighter to fight back when he was clearly knocked out on his feet
- Boxer Kubrat Pulev knocked MMA fighter Frank Mir out on his feet in a Saturday fight.
- It all went down in Texas, with Pulev scoring a first-round knockout at the Triller event.
Triller Triad Combat's team criticized an MMA referee for appearing to implore a fighter to fight back when he was clearly concussed, and knocked out on his feet.
"He's out on his feet, what is [Dan] Miragliotta doing?" One commentator screamed as the former UFC heavyweight Frank Mir staggered around the novelty triangular ring in a daze.
Mir fought the former heavyweight boxing title challenger Kubrat Pulev in a Triller event Saturday at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas.
The 42-year-old Mir was once a decorated mixed martial artist having won the UFC heavyweight title in 2004, with later wins over Brock Lesnar, Antonio Nogueira, and Mirko Cro Cop.
He is far removed from his prime fighting years as a jiu jitsu specialist, and so a striking bout against Pulev, a 40-year-old boxer who challenged Anthony Joshua for three world heavyweight boxing titles 12 months ago, always seemed like questionable matchmaking.
And all it took was a single round for Pulev to blast past Mir.
But the way he did so could have been disastrous.
Pulev hammered Mir so hard the American was out on his feet. If Pulev had lightly pushed Mir, he'd have gone down for the count, but Pulev seemingly held back from launching a further assault.
Referee Miragliotta could have waved the contest off there and then, but it looked like he studied Mir longer, and was close to allowing him to fight on.
Mir's disposition was reminiscent of the infamous "Finish Him" pose that losing fighters are stricken with in the smash-hit video game series "Mortal Kombat."
The referee's decision perplexed the commentary booth.
Watch the ending right here:
—FITE (@FiteTV) November 28, 2021
The night pitted MMA fighters against boxers, with the MMA team triumphing by the end of the evening.
Alexander Flores beat MMA fighter Matt Mitrione earlier in the show, after former UFC star Mike Perry earned a split decision win over Michael Seals.
There were reportedly 20,000 fans in attendance at the event.
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter
- Reliance Jio is making the most money it has ever made from its subscribers
- Twitter’s long-awaited hexagonal profile pictures that give bragging rights to NFT HOLDers is here — but not everyone loves it
- IIT-Bombay’s annual socio-weekend to start from January 22