An NFL safety just retired at age 25, saying he needs some 'peace of mind'
- Former Los Angeles Chargers safety Nasir Adderley announced his retirement from the NFL.
- Adderley, 25, played out his rookie deal with the Chargers and was a free agent.
Former Los Angeles Chargers safety Nasir Adderley announced his retirement from the NFL on Instagram on Thursday after just four seasons in the league.
The 25-year-old cited "health" and "peace of mind" as reasons for stepping away from the game, but did not get into specifics.
"After a period of self reflection, I have decided it's time for me to walk away from the game of football," Adderley said. "Over the past couple of years I have denied this realization, but I'm finally going to put myself first for once. My health is above anything and everyone around me knows that.
"I believe I have yet to scratch the surface of the player I could be, but if it's at the expense of my peace of mind then it's no longer for me," Adderley said.
Adderley also mentioned his desire to no longer be an employee, spend more time with loved ones, and owning his own business, as well as "chasing my passion of true liberation" in his farewell message.
Adderley was drafted by the Chargers in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft. He played out his entire rookie deal with Los Angeles, earning more than $6.5 million in his career.
Adderley became a free agent at the start of the new league year on Wednesday, and according to ESPN, he was not expected to re-sign with the Chargers.
In his four seasons with Los Angeles, Adderley was a regular presence on defense, with three interceptions, two forced fumbles, and 232 tackles in his career. He was replaced as a starter in the middle of the 2022 season.
Adderley is not the first athlete to call it a career early. A few years ago, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, at age 29, shocked the NFL world when he suddenly decided to hang up his cleats at the peak of his powers.
The trend goes beyond the NFL. In late December of 2022, NBA player Tyrell Terry announced that he was stepping away from professional basketball, citing anxiety.
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Sennheiser launches HD 660S2 headphones at ₹54,990 in India
- 'Consistent with dignity, socially acceptable', SC mulls panel to examine less painful method of execution
- Reliance Jio's True 5G now available in over 406 cities
- Brent crude oil prices remain under pressure on tensions that risks in global banking sector may spark a recession worldwide
- Ad-free videos to background play, here’s everything you get with YouTube Premium