Becky Hammon has been groomed to become the first woman to be a head coach in NBA history and she says she is ready
Becky Hammonsays she's ready to be the first woman head coach in NBAhistory.
- Hammon, currently the Spurs' assistant coach, is just waiting for the opportunity to arise.
- She was the first woman hired full-time to an NBA
coachingstaff and the first woman acting head coach.
Becky Hammon has made history many times during her
All signs suggest she'll be the first woman in history to assume the helm for a major professional men's sports team. Hammon has become known as one of the most highly respected basketball minds in the NBA since joining the Spurs staff in 2014. Last year, she became the first woman acting head coach in the history of the NBA.Hammon said she's ready to be a head coach right now - she just needs a franchise that's ready, too.
Hammon's bona fides speak for themselves. Now 44, the legendary San Antonio Stars point guard was a six-time WNBA All-Star and was selected as one of the league's 20 best players of all time. After Hammon tore her ACL in 2013,
That made her just the second woman in league history to join an NBA coaching staff, and the first to join full-time. In the seven years since, Hammon has achieved other firsts for women in coaching: In 2015, she became the first woman to coach an NBA summer league team, and the following year, she became the first woman featured on an All-Star coaching staff.But even if Hammon, her colleagues, and the players she's coached know she's qualified to lead a team, Hammon said "somebody's gonna have to take a chance" to make it happen. "In some ways, I feel like it could be in a year," she said. "In other ways, it could be 10 years. I'm not really sure."
But she added: "What I'm sure of is I'll be ready."
Watch Hammon's interview with Kotb below:
- When Puma got Virat Kohli to engage one-on-one with its consumers online and generated 1.2 million conversations across the country in just 15 days
- WhiteHat Jr’s CEO Karan Bajaj quits exactly a year after Byju’s acquired the company
- India adds 42,625 COVID-19 cases and 562 deaths in a day
- Five things to remember while investing in mutual fund when markets are high
- Lux's latest campaign features power couple Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli