Breakout Browns running back started his path to the NFL by DMing teams in a now-defunct league just hoping for a shot
- Third-string Browns running back D'Ernest Johnson had 146 yards and 1 touchdown in his first start.
- Johnson went undrafted in 2018, then DM'ed every AAF team for a shot and rejuvenated his career.
Cleveland Browns running back D'Ernest Johnson had to put himself out there to get another chance at football.
The 24-year-old, third-string running back had a breakout game on Thursday, rushing for a career-high 146 yards and a touchdown as the Browns beat the Denver Broncos, 17-14.
Johnson was thrust into the spotlight with Browns running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt sidelined with injuries. Coming into Thursday's game, he had 40 career carries for 198 yards and no touchdowns.
After Thursday's game, Courtney Kramer, a social media manager for the Dallas Stars, tweeted that Johnson messaged the teams asking for a shot while she worked with the Birmingham Iron of the now-defunct Alliance of American Football.
-Courtney Kramer (@CourtKramer39) October 22, 2021
According to CNN's Ben Morse, Johnson went undrafted and attended the New Orleans Saints' rookie minicamp but was not signed.
After leaving the Saints, Johnson briefly worked on a fishing boat out of Florida with his friend.
Johnson eventually landed with the Orlando Appollo in the AAF and thrived, racking up 332 rushing yards and 220 receiving yards in eight games.
Johnson signed on with the Browns in 2019 and has appeared in every game the last two seasons, though he mostly played on special teams.
On Thursday, in his first career start, Johnson showed a nice combination of speed, strength, and elusiveness. He averaged an impressive 6.6 yards per carry.
His performance caught the eyes of LeBron James.
-LeBron James (@KingJames) October 22, 2021
After the game, Johnson was blown away when he was told about the shoutout from James.
"LeBron? Man, that's my favorite basketball player, I'm not going to lie to you," Johnson said, adding: "That's amazing. LeBron James, appreciate it, man. That means a lot."
-The MMQB (@theMMQB) October 22, 2021
It's unclear if Johnson will get a chance to start again for the Browns, with Chubb potentially returning for Week 8. Yet his time in the spotlight likely earned him more touches and piqued the interest of other teams in need of a running back.
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Here are some free AI-powered apps and tools to try right now
- Cement makers plan to hike price by ₹10-15 per bag
- MCD polls: Transgender candidate Bobi wins from Sultanpuri
- Markets remain choppy as RBI cuts GDP forecast, expects inflation to remain high
- From the entire lead cast of RRR to Hrithik Roshan, a look at IMDb’s Most Popular Indian Stars of 2022
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World