Bryson DeChambeau's bag at the Masters might include a secret weapon
Bryson DeChambeauhas been teasing the debut of a new club at the Masters.
- He has shied away from details but seemed confident the club would give him more distance.
- DeChambeau is the biggest hitter on tour, so adding distance would only build his advantage.
The 2020 Masters humbled Bryson DeChambeau.
Heading into last year's tournament, DeChambeau was riding high as the reigning US Open champion - he'd won the major by six strokes over the field. He was one of the favorites to win at Augusta National, too, but after struggling through the first two days of the November tournament, DeChambeau tied for 34th in the field.That forced him to eat his words. Although the course plays as a par 72, DeChambeau had said before the Masters that he was "looking at it as a par 67 for me, because I can reach all the par-fives in two, no problem."
This year, DeChambeau is a bit more careful about his pre-Masters talk. Still, he's hinted at a plan to overpower Georgia's Augusta National course. At his press conference on Tuesday, DeChambeau suggested that a new club from Cobra
Despite this secrecy, it seems most likely that the new club in DeChambeau's bag will be a prototype of the Cobra RadSpeed driver, which recently appeared on the USGA list of conforming driver heads, according to Golf Digest. The club has a 5.5-degree face, but it will be adjusted to 4.5-degrees for Bryson, according to Cobra Tour rep Ben Schomin.DeChambeau is already the biggest hitter on the Tour, but with the new driver, he hopes to push the ball even further. "Whether it helps me win the tournament or not, it's still a massive improvement off of everything that's been going on," DeChambeau said. "It's been all-hands-on-deck at Cobra, and they worked super hard to get this ready for Augusta."
DeChambeau tees off in the first round of the 2021 Masters at 1:36 p.m. on Thursday.
- Revolut starts India operations, appoints former Lendingkart, Flipkart executive Paroma Chatterjee as CEO
- Top 10 longest sixes in IPL matches from 2008 to till date
- OPINION: Regulation of games of skill under a central legislative regime is the need of the hour
- OPINION: Why weekend lockdowns and night curfews aren't the only solution to India's surging cases of COVID-19
- Haryana government declares summer vacation in schools due to spike in COVID-19 cases