Conor McGregor messed Donald Cerrone's face up so badly that the Cowboy has been slapped with a 6 month medical suspension from fighting
- Conor McGregor beat Donald Cerrone so badly that the Cowboy has been told he cannot fight again for six months, according to MMA Fighting.
- Cerrone suffered a broken nose and a mildly fractured orbital bone during his 40-second loss to McGregor at the UFC 246 event in Las Vegas on January 18.
- Cerrone will be permitted to return to fighting sooner should he be given the all-clear by a surgeon.
- Medical suspensions are common in professional fighting and Cerrone was one of 14 athletes told not to return to fighting for a certain time.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Conor McGregor messed Donald Cerrone's face up so badly that the Cowboy has been slapped with a six-month medical suspension from fighting.
McGregor was so fast, so powerful, and so dominant, he limited Cerrone to throwing just one strike, which did not land, during UFC 246's main event bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.
During the Irish striker's victory, he hit Cerrone with shoulder strikes that busted Cerrone's nose, a high kick that landed on his face, and then beat the American to the floor with a flurry of punches.
While McGregor slugged Proper no. Twelve whiskey at the post-fight press conference and went to his afterparty at the Encore Beach Club in the Wynn casino, Cerrone was hospitalized and had his injuries assessed.
Cerrone's nose was broken and he suffered a "mild" orbital bone fracture, as reported by MMA Fighting.
The SB Nation website adds Cerrone's manager, Josh Jones, said "a CT scan of his brain came back negative for serious damage."
MMA Fighting says Cerrone faces six months on the sidelines because of the devastating nature of the defeat, but could return to professional fighting sooner should he be given the all-clear by a maxillofacial surgeon.
Medical suspensions are common in professional fighting, and Cerrone was one of 14 athletes at the UFC 246 event told not to return to fighting for a given time.
One of those athletes was the 21-year-old American fighter Maycee Barber, who had previously been tipped as being capable of breaking the record of youngest-ever UFC champion.
Barber, who was undefeated going into her flyweight bout with the classy veteran Roxanne Modafferi, was beaten with relative ease by "the Happy Warrior."
Barber suffered a "complete" tear of her ACL during the resounding defeat to Modafferi, according to ESPN.
MMA Fighting says she needs an MRI of her left knee, and if the examination comes back positive then she will be given a medical suspension until July 17. Barber, like Cerrone, will be permitted to return to professional fighting sooner - all she has to do is gain clearance from an orthopedic doctor.