Conor McGregor says he is returning to UFC in January in Las Vegas, and wants 3 fights in 2020
- Conor McGregor has said he will return to the UFC Octagon on January 18 in Las Vegas.
- ESPN's Ariel Helwani reported that he will likely fight Justin Gaethje or Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.
- The former two-weight UFC champion said during a press conference in Moscow on Thursday that he wants to fight three times in 2020, and would be willing to rematch Khabib Nurmagomedov in the Russian city.
- McGregor's media address follows Nurmagomedov's recent comments in which he called the Irishman an alcoholic and a rapist.
- The New York Times reported on Saturday that McGregor is facing a second sexual assault investigation in Ireland, an allegation which the fighter denies.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Conor McGregor has said he will return to the UFC Octagon on January 18 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and wants to fight three times in 2020.
The former two-weight UFC champion was speaking at a press conference in Moscow, Russia on Thursday when he reiterated his desire to challenge Khabib Nurmagomedov at the end of next year, should the Russian wrestler continue to hold the lightweight title.McGregor was conclusively beaten by Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October, 2018, and has not fought since. However, he would be willing to rematch him in Moscow.
The two frontrunners to fight McGregor in his January return are Justin Gaethje and Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone, according to the ESPN reporter Ariel Helwani, with Cerrone the likelier opponent.
Helwani also tweeted that McGregor wants to fight three times next year - the first one in January.
He then wants to fight the winner of Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz's "baddest mother-f----- in the game" bout at UFC 244 on November 2.
Finally, at the end of the year he wants to fight the winner of the unconfirmed lightweight title bout between the no.1 contender Tony Ferguson and the current champion Nurmagomedov.McGregor's press conference follows Nurmagomedov's recent comments on Twitter in which he called the Irishman an alcoholic and a rapist after The New York Times reported on Saturday that McGregor is facing a second sexual assault investigation in Ireland.
McGregor's publicist said the fighter denies any report accusing him of sexual assault.
The story in the Times follows reporting earlier in the month by the Independent in Ireland which said "a well-known Irish sportsman" had been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Crumlin, Dublin.
Irish police, called the Gardai, confirmed to Business Insider that it was investgating a sexual assault that took place in that area on October 11.
Read more:Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn't even have a fight scheduled but is keeping fit by swimming against the tide in a cold river in Dagestan
Conor McGregor announces at a press conference in Moscow this AM that he has agreed to return to action on Jan. 18 in. T-Mobile. He did not name the opponent. Fight isn't signed. Two leading candidates are Cerrone and Gaethje. Cerrone is the frontrunner at this time, I'm told.- Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 24, 2019
And if Khabib wins versus Ferguson, he really wants the rematch in Moscow, I'm told.- Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 24, 2019