Conor McGregor's black belt in jiu jitsu 'is coming,' his head trainer John Kavanagh says
- Conor McGregor's black belt in jiu jitsu is coming, his head coach John Kavanagh told Business Insider.
- The Dublin fighter currently has brown belt status and though he is one rung below black, he is more revered for his ability during stand-up combat.
- But should McGregor submit his UFC 246 opponent Donald Cerrone in their non-title welterweight fight on Saturday, he'll get a black belt straight away. It would be "announced in the cage," an MMA expert told us.
- Regardless, McGregor is expected to either decision or KO Cerrone, rather than submit him.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
LAS VEGAS - Conor McGregor is already an expert striker with a ferocious left-handed power punch, but he also has an ever-developing ground game and will soon be a black belt in jiu jitsu.That is according to his head coach John Kavanagh, who told Business Insider this week that McGregor, who is currently a brown belt, will, "of course be a black belt … it's coming."
The Telegraph's combat sports columnist Gareth A. Davies said McGregor could receive his black belt in two days - all he has to do is submit his UFC 246 opponent Donald Cerrone at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, January 18."If he submitted Cerrone he'd get a black belt straight away and I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced in the cage," Davies said. "He will get his black belt. He's a lifelong martial artist."
McGregor is expected to decision or KO Cerrone, rather than submit him
So well prepared, Davies tips McGregor to walk away with a win.
"It could be a close fight but Conor wins," Davies said. "Cerrone will put everything into this. The ground is dangerous [for McGregor], but Conor does it [wins]."Read more:
- Farmer unions now announce plan to march towards Parliament on Budget day
- Pradhan Mantri Bal Puraskar to be awarded to 32 children on Republic Day
- Birla is making Asian Paints and Berger Paints change colours— and it’s bad news for those who got shares in Indigo IPO too
- Farmers to march towards Parliament from different locations on Budget day on February 1: Farmer leader Darshan Pal. PTI TRS GJS GJS TIR TIR
- Apple doubles its India market share this winter thanks to the launch of its online store and sales of iPhone 11, XR and 12