Jaguars rookie QB Gardner Minshew is 'known for not spending any money' and still drives a used Acura from high school
James Gilbert/Getty Images
James Gilbert/Getty Images
- Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Gardner Minshew has a reputation for being frugal and is "known for not spending any money."
- Minshew's mother told The Wall Street Journal that he refused to get an apartment until he made the Jaguars' final roster. When he did, his parents sent him essentials to furnish the apartment.
- Minshew also drives a used Acura his parents bought him in high school.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Gardner Minshew has a reputation as one of the more frugal players in the NFL.Minshew, a sixth-round draft pick, was thrust into the starting job in Week 1 when Nick Foles broke his collarbone. Minshew's star has since risen in the NFL, thanks to success on the field and a colorful personality.Advertisement
Read more: How Gardner Minshew, the Jaguars' mustachioed, sixth-round rookie quarterback, became a breakout star and the NFL's most interesting man
However, Minshew's mother, Kim, told The Wall Street Journal's Jason Gay that before making the roster, Gardner wouldn't rent an apartment in Jacksonville."He would not get an apartment until he saw his name on the roster," Kim told Gay.
Julio Aguilar/Getty Images
According to the sports contract website Spotrac, Minshew is making $685,884 this season. His total contract is worth $2.7 million over four years.
Minshew's frugal ways are said to extend back to college - though he wasn't making six figures back then. He told The Athletic's Jayson Jenks in 2018 that he spent only $15 furnishing his college bedroom and that he got his bed used from Facebook Marketplace.Minshew and the Jaguars picked up a win in Week 7, beating the Cincinnati Bengals, 27-17. Minshew threw for 255 yards with 1 touchdown and no interceptions.Advertisement
The legend of Minshew only continues to grow.
- Read more:
- The most iconic stadium in every state
- 16 players who could take home the NBA MVP, ranked
- The 20 richest billionaires who own sports teams
- Take a tour of Derek Jeter's incredible $14.75-million lakeside castle in New York that he bought for $425,000 and has been on the market for well over a year
- Amit Sadh tests negative for COVID-19
- Understanding bat immune system may help identify new COVID-19 drug targets, scientists say
- Samsung SpaceMax Family Hub refrigerator in India for Rs 1.97 lakh
- From Chingari to Mitron TV – TikTok clone apps in India are now aggressively hiring to handle the user surge
- Russia claims world’s first COVID-19 vaccine after successful clinical trials