LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, and more stars from the sports world shared their outrage after a grand jury declined to charge 2 officers involved in Breonna Taylor's death
- LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, and more stars from around the sports world expressed their disappointment with the lack of charges brought against the cops that killed Breonna Taylor.
- "I've been lost for words today! I'm devastated, hurt, sad, mad!" LeBron James wrote on Twitter. "We want Justice for Breonna yet justice was met for her neighbors' apartment walls and not her beautiful life."
- "The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor's life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people," Colin Kaepernick wrote.
- More athletes joined their calls for action with posts of their own.
LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, and many more prominent athletes and activists expressed their frustration with the lack of charges brought against the police officers that killed Breonna Taylor.
Taylor was shot and killed in her home by Louisville police officers in March. Since then, demands for justice have come from far and wide, with several NBA players including LeBron using their interview time inside the bubble to bring attention to her case.On Wednesday, it was announced that only one of the three officers involved in the police shooting would have charges brought against him, and the charges were not for his involvement in Taylor's death, but rather for firing into a neighbor's apartment.
"I've been lost for words today! I'm devastated, hurt, sad, mad!" James wrote on Twitter. "We want Justice for Breonna yet justice was met for her neighbors apartment walls and not her beautiful life. Was I surprised at the verdict. Absolutely not but damnit I was & still am hurt and heavy hearted! I send my love to Breonna mother, family and friends! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!"Colin Kaepernick also had strong words in response to the news that two of the three officers would be getting off without charges.
"The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor's life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people," Kaepernick wrote.On Twitter, several stars from across the sports world also shared their outrage, grief, and calls for justice.
—Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) September 23, 2020
—DeMarcus Cousins (@boogiecousins) September 23, 2020
—Megan Rapinoe (@mPinoe) September 23, 2020
—Justin Jackson (@J_ManPrime21) September 23, 2020
—Skylar Diggins-Smith (@SkyDigg4) September 23, 2020
— Jamal Crawford (@JCrossover) September 23, 2020
—Sue Bird (@S10Bird) September 23, 2020
—Michael Thomas (@Cantguardmike) September 23, 2020Lakers swingman Danny Green spoke with reporters after the news broke, saying that the league's message still wasn't getting through.
"Something was done, but it wasn't enough. Most guys thought it was definitely not enough," Green said. "It's a tough one. We're still trying to make the proper steps ... What happened today wasn't enough. We felt, and I'm sure most people around the country felt the same."
- Read more:
- Sanofi, GSK to supply COVAX with 200 mn doses of COVID-19 vaccine (Ld)
- After Bihar, now BJP promises free Corona vaccine in MP
- Sanofi, GSK to support COVAX with 200mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Union Minister Smriti Irani tests positive for COVID-19
- Samsung overtakes Xiaomi to retake the smartphone crown in India