Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are football's Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Here's why
- Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are to soccer what Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are to tennis, according to Juventus FC and former Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.
- "Federer is infinite class, while Nadal is perseverance, sweat and also talent," Buffon told Football Italia. "Leo Messi is Federer, while Ronaldo is like Nadal."
- Messi and Ronaldo have dominated European football for years, winning a combined 61 domestic honours and five Ballon d'Or trophies each.
- In the same era, Federer and Nadal have commanded the tennis world, winning 20 and 19 Grand Slam titles respectively.
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
"Federer is infinite class, while Nadal is perseverance, sweat and also talent, otherwise you cannot win all the Grand Slams he achieved," the veteran shot-stopper said.
"Nadal's hard work and constant desire to improve himself allowed him to be on a par with the most talented tennis player in history."The comparison is obvious and makes me smile, as Leo Messi is Federer, while Cristiano Ronaldo is like Nadal."
Federer, 38, has won 20 Grand Slam titles, whilst Nadal has won 19 - his latest coming when he beat Daniil Medvedev to secure the 2019 US Open title in September.
Buffon has also had a glistening career of his own, having won 24 major honours with Parma, Juventus, and Paris Saint Germain, in a career that has spanned almost 25 years.Read more:Advertisement
2 teenage soccer stars who once played together as children could soon become the sport's biggest rivals since Lionel Messi and Cristiano RonaldoAdvertisement
- Spike in COVID-19 cases in Bengaluru, Hyderabad causes concern
- Sweet shop selling spl mysurpak as 'COVID-19 cure' sealed
- Over 12,000 COVID-19 tests in last 4 days in Noida
- Complete lockdown in Patna from July 10-16 as COVID-19 cases surge
- COVID-19: HC dismisses interim bail plea of Jigisha murder convict for being HIV positive