Marcell Jacobs said it's an unbelievable feeling to win the first 100-meter gold in the post-Usain Bolt era
Lamont Marcell Jacobsis the new Olympic champion at the 100-meter sprint.
- The Italian edged Fred Kerley of the United States, and Andre de Grasse of Canada, to claim gold.
- He said it is an unbelievable feeling, and might not sink in for hours.
Fred Kerley of the United States and Andre de Grasse of Canada ran personal best times of 9.84 seconds and 9.89 seconds, respectively, to win the silver and bronze medals.
The only way Jacobs could beat them is if he ran a personal best, too.
On Sunday, he did just that as he gathered momentum from the 30-meter mark onwards and drilled the finish to edge his rivals, win the championship, and claim the status as the fastest man on the planet.
It is also the first time an athlete not named Usain Bolt had won the marquee event of the games since 2008 when the Jamaican sprinter won the first of his eight Olympic titles.
"I've won an Olympic gold after Usain Bolt; it's unbelievable," said Jacobs, according to Sky Sports.
"Tonight, staring at the ceiling, perhaps I will realize."
Jacobs also said winning the Olympic title was "my dream since I was a child."
The 200-meter first round, semifinal, and final for both the men and women's races takes place Tuesday.
- A new app ‘Lalo’ is helping people to remember loved ones who passed away
- Survey reveals 53% of Indians are seeing ads based on their last private phone conversation
- Now take the Ayodhya to Rameshwaram tour with an EMI paying option by IRCTC
- Tomatoes, brinjal and green vegetable prices soar and will keep going up due to rains
- Vodafone, Coal India, BPCL among stocks to watch out for on May 26
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction