St. Louis Cardinals forced to postpone more games as they become the latest MLB team with a COVID-19 outbreak
- The St. Louis Cardinals are the third team in Major League Baseball to have a positive case of COVID-19 within the clubhouse.
- The Cardinals weekend series against the Brewers was postponed due to four positive cases in the clubhouse were found on Saturday.
- On Monday, the Cardinals had jumped to 13 cases in the clubhouse, including seven players.
The St. Louis Cardinals joined the Miami Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies to become the third team forced to postpone games due to an outbreak of positive COVID-19 cases within their clubhouse.
On Saturday, five members of the Cardinals clubhouse tested positive for COVID-19, and the team was forced to postpone its scheduled weekend series with the Milwaukee Brewers. Then on Monday, it was reported that the number of cases had jumped to 13, including seven players testing positive, meaning the team's series against the Detroit Tigers would also be pushed back.In a statement, MLB said that the Cardinals will remain in Milwaukee, where they have already been quarantining since Thursday, and hopes the team can resume their season as scheduled on Friday with a series against the Chicago Cubs.Advertisement
According to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, five of the 13 cases are asymptomatic.
—Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 3, 2020
The Cardinals are the third team in the majors to suffer a positive test in the clubhouse just a week into the 2020 MLB season, joining the Miami Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies in having their season already drastically altered due to the virus.Last Friday, 20% of Major League Baseball was forced to sit out due to the virus, as the teams scheduled to play the Phillies, Nationals, and Marlins were also watching from home.
—Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) July 31, 2020
While the Cardinals will continue their quarantine through Thursday with hopes of getting back out onto the field on Friday, the Phillies and Marlins are set to resume their seasons this week, with the Phillies taking on the Yankees on Monday night, and the Marlins facing the Orioles on Tuesday.
- Read more:
- Three things the RBI will have to mull over as it gets ready to announce its monetary policy decision
- Ayodhya is all decked up for Ram Mandir’s groundbreaking ceremony — here’s a look at what’s happening
- Byju’s vantage point – parents want online learning to continue even after schools reopen
- Here's all you need to know about COVID-19 quarantine guidelines for airline passengers in every Indian state
- COVID-19 has changed the face of marketing making it follow the pillars of empathy, trust, and necessity: Ajit Kumar, Saregama