Naomi Osaka described her US Open quarterfinal win as 'revenge' after losing to the same opponent 3 years earlier
- Naomi Osaka has been cruising through the 2020 US Open. She's now the top-ranked player in the world.
- After beating Shelby Rogers in the quarterfinals, the 22-year-old superstar said she considered the victory "a little bit of revenge," since Osaka had lost their previous three matches.
- When Rogers beat her in Charleston in 2017, Osaka said, that left "a really bad aftertaste in my mouth."
Naomi Osaka had already won eight straight matches heading into her US Open quarterfinal, but that didn't stop the tennis star from channeling anger from a past loss to fuel her way to the semis.
After winning her match against Shelby Rodgers on Tuesday in straight sets, the 22-year-old superstar said in her post-match interview that she had a chip on her shoulder heading into the contest. That's because Osaka had never defeated Rodgers, the 93rd-ranked American, in the three times they'd played before."Honestly, I just felt like she had the upper hand because I've never beaten her," Osaka said. "And those memories are stuck in my head, so I consider this a little bit of revenge."
That was the inspiration behind her clinical performance at Arthur Ashe Stadium, Osaka added.
—Scott Eisberg (@SEisbergWCIV) September 9, 2020At No. 1 in the world rankings, Osaka is the favorite in this year's US Open. She's never reached the quarterfinal of a major tournament without winning it all, and she's just two matches away from keeping that streak alive.
Osaka will face 28th seed Jennifer Brady on Thursday, where both will vie for a trip to this year's final.
- Read more:
- Naomi Osaka said she cried watching messages of thanks from the parents of Trayvon Martin and Ahmaud Arbery after her latest US Open win
- Naomi Osaka wore a Breonna Taylor mask heading into her first-round US Open victory
- Serena Williams returned a serve with her left hand and went on to win the point to spur an epic comeback in her US Open quarterfinal battle
- Pidilite shares surge as the 61-year old company acquires Araldite maker for ₹2,100 crore
- Chennai lashed with rainfall, many roads waterlogged
- Pinterest stock soars 23% as the social media platform garners 442 million global monthly active users
- Top stock movers — Bharti Airtel, RBL Bank, Pidilite, Titan, Hero Motocorp, Asian Paints, TCS, L&T and others
- Manforce Condoms aims to capture 50% market share by 2023