Naomi Osaka lost at the Australian Open, then immediately said she's going to delete Instagram and Twitter
Naomi Osakawas knocked out of the Australian Openby an unseeded American Friday.
- New Jersey-native Amanda Anisimova beat reigning champion Osaka in three sets in Melbourne.
Four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka was knocked out of the Australian Open in the third round Friday, losing in three sets to unseeded American Amanda Anisimova.
Osaka, who returned to major
The defeat, Osaka's first in 2022, will see her drop to 84th in the WTA rankings, according to live-tennis.eu's live world ranking.
84th will be her lowest world ranking since August 2016, when she was just breaking into the upper echelons of elite tennis.
Prior to the Australian Open, Osaka ranked 14th in the world, a considerable achievement given the tiny amount of tennis she played in 2021.
Much of Osaka's 2021 break was triggered by her desire to protect her mental health, and she seemed to indicate that she will seek to avoid social media after her elimination in Melbourne for that very reason.
Immediately after the match, Osaka told reporters that her first step when she got back to the dressing room and checked her phone would be to get rid of several social media apps.
"I mean to me it's always a tennis match, you know what I mean? I feel like the outside stuff comes after," she said after being asked about her feelings towards her losses frequently becoming headline news.
"The first thing that I'll probably do when I look at my phone is delete Instagram and Twitter, and then I probably won't redownload it for a couple of weeks.
"To me it's exciting. Not the loss itself, but, like the person I lost to, because it's like showing the growth of tennis. I feel like now I'm in this position where if I lose to someone, it might make a headline, but I also think it kind of grows more superstars, and I feel like that's good for the game."
Speaking after the victory over two-time Australian Open champion Osaka, Anisimova said: "Naomi is an absolute champion so I knew I had to really step up my game.
"I think I started doing that in the second set. I'm so grateful I was able to play so well today and get this win. It means a lot."
Anisimova's road through the Australian Open doesn't get any easier after defeating Osaka. She faces world number one and home favorite Ash Barty in the next round.
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22