Olympic figure skating minimum age raised to 17 after doping scandal involving 15-year-old Kamila Valieva rocked the 2022 Winter Games
- The International Skating Union voted to raise the age minimum for figure skaters from 15-years-old to 17-years-old.
- ISU President Jan Dijkema called the new rules a "very historic decision."
The International Skating Union voted to gradually raise the age minimum for Olympic figure skaters from 15-years-old to 17-years-old over the next few years, Reuters reported.
The minimum age for skaters will be raised to 16-years-old for the 2023-2024 season and will then increase to 17-years-old for the 2024-2025 season and beyond, including the 2026
ISU President Jan Dijkema called the new age minimum a "very historic decision."
The move comes after then-15-year-old Russian figure skater
It was revealed that Valieva tested positive for an illegal substance that can potentially boost performance, tarnishing her reputation in Beijing and threatening her the chance to medal if she were to score in the top three slots.
Valieva had already won gold in a team event with other Russian competitors, but that medal wasn't awarded as investigators probe the case. As of June — months after the Games wrapped up — the issue has still not been resolved and no medals have been handed out in the
According to Reuters, Valieva's case prompted a conversation about raising the age minimum, as past figure skating champions decried her coaching team for putting her in that position.
Skating legend Katerina Witt said on Facebook "As an athlete, you follow the advice of your loved ones and, in this case, always first of all the coaching and medical team. You just trust that they know what is right and what is wrong."
Witt had added that the adults responsible for the failed doping test should be banned from the sport for life.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- A boomer grandma advises on how to set boundaries with millennial kids when it comes to babysitting
- India's best relaxing holiday spots for peaceful retreats
- Inter-ministerial approval board can permit demarcation of non-processing area under IT sector SEZs
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade