Phillies player set to lose $260,000 for being unvaccinated says he isn't concerned about 'a little bit of money'
- Phillies catcher JT Realmuto cannot travel to Toronto because he didn't get a
- Asked about losing $260,000 worth of pay, Realmuto said he won't "let Canada tell me what I do and don't put in my body for a little bit of money."
Canada requires players entering the country to be vaccinated.
For catcher J.T. Realmuto, missing the two games on Tuesday and Wednesday will cost him roughly $260,000, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer's Scott Lauber. Realmuto has a salary of $23.8 million this season.
However, Realmuto was dismissive when asked about losing money over his decision not to get vaccinated.
"I'm not going to let Canada tell me what I do and don't put in my body for a little bit of money," Realmuto told reporters. "It's just not worth it."
The 31-year-old catcher said he had COVID-19 "a couple times" and experienced mild symptoms. He said he consulted with doctors about whether he should receive the vaccine.
"When it came time to decide whether I needed the vaccine or not, talked with a couple doctors I knew, told them my story, and really decided I didn't need it," Realmuto said.
Third baseman Alec Bohm and starting pitchers Aaron Nola and Kyle Gibson are also unvaccinated.
According to Lauber, Bohm, Nola, and Gibson all offered different reasons for not getting the vaccine: Bohm called it a "personal decision," Gibson cited a medical condition, and Nola said he didn't want to get it.
Bohm and Nola were both placed on the COVID-IL last season.
Realmuto was asked if he would reconsider if the Phillies and Blue Jays met in the World Series. He said, "I hope by that point that it's all figured out, and we don't have to deal with this anymore."
- Google Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Watch 2 launched with improved AI features
- Moto G54 5G review – affordable option with a large battery
- Reliance Brands forges partnership with ‘urban cool’ fashion brand Superdry
- ED arrests AAP MP Sanjay Singh in Delhi excise policy case
- Top 10 unique benefits of adding Flax Seeds to your diet