Saul Alvarez could fight on September 11 as boxing organizers plan a tribute for the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attack
boxingpromoter Eddie Hearn is hoping to organize an event on the 20th anniversary of 9/11.
- The event would feature Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez against
Caleb Plant, and would likely be in Las Vegas.
- Though fraught with difficulties, organizers believe such an event could pay tribute to 9/11 first responders.
LONDON - Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, the chairman of Matchroom Sport, is hoping one of his marquee fighters Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez returns to the ring September 11 in a unification bout held in Las Vegas, USA.
A champion in four weight classes, Alvarez won multiple super middleweight belts in December 2020 when he bamboozled Callum Smith over 12 rounds.
He defended those titles with a third-round finish against Turkey's Avni Yildirim, before winning another title at the 168-pound limit with a bone-breaking win over Billy Joe Saunders last month.
Alvarez currently holds the WBA, WBO, WBC, and The Ring titles, and intends to win all of the major championships in the division. That leaves American Caleb Plant, who holds the IBF title, in his crosshairs.
It is a match that could be made imminently, Hearn says.
At a media event Monday at Matchroom HQ near London, Insider asked Hearn if there were any potential issues that might arise when organizing an event on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
"I think it is hard to say, but it is almost like a tribute to that date," Hearn said, before adding that he had been in discussions with his broadcast partner DAZN about ways in which any show could honor first responders.
He said they've even spoken to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, with Hearn saying that the MGM has agreed a tribute could be made.
"We can incorporate a number of activities that would give those people the respect they deserve on that date," Hearn said.
A source with knowledge of the situation previously told Insider that September 18 would be a likelier date for the undisputed super middleweight fight, given the sensitivities around the September 11 date.
The potential fight also raises broadcast challenges. Alvarez is currently aligned to Hearn, Matchroom, and DAZN, while Plant has been growing a significant fanbase with Premier Boxing Champions on Fox
"If Canelo Alvarez or Caleb Plant were completely exclusive, and maybe Plant is, we'll see, that fight can't happen," said Hearn.
Regarding his athlete Alvarez, Hearn said: "It's the natural fight. He's beaten all the other belt holders, there's one to go."
- 479 leaked photos purporting to show Putin's secret palace, with an ice rink and pole-dancing room, published by Navalny foundation
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- The first pig-heart transplant patient was denied a human heart after failing to follow doctors' orders
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter