Simone Biles wore a dress weighing 88 pounds to her first ever Met Gala, and said it was 'definitely heavy'
- Simone Biles said she felt "empowered" in her outfit as she attended the Met Gala for the first time.
- The gymnast's dress weighed 88 pounds, and was so heavy she had a team of helpers around her to carry the train.
- Biles was joined by fellow Olympian Suni Lee, who was the breakout star of Team USA gymnastics in Tokyo.
The joint most decorated gymnast of all time appeared at the
Biles was wearing a grey beaded gown that stretched far behind her and a black night sky-inspired bodysuit underneath.
The Olympian described the dress as heavy but empowering.
"How do I feel in the dress? It's definitely heavy, but I feel beautiful, strong, and empowered," she told Vogue.
The dress was made by Athleta, the sportswear brand Biles is sponsored by, and was created by stylist Leslie Fremar.
Vogue reported that there was a black miniskirt underneath should Biles have wanted to get rid of the extra weight.
Biles was flanked by a team of helpers ready to carry the train of the dress up stairs.
The inspiration for the dress was Josephine Baker, the first Black woman to star in a major film, Siren of the Tropics, in 1927. Baker was also a key figure in the resistance to the Nazi occupation of France during the Second World War.
Biles appeared at the Met Gala having added two more Olympic medals to her collection at the Tokyo Olympics last month.
- It’s good that India wants just two GST slabs but it has to ensure it doesn’t hurt consumers
- Best car seat for kids in India
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India
- Best smartwatch under ₹15000 in India