The MLB released an emotional video tribute to NL Rookie of the Year Pete Alonso that calls back to his childhood
- New York Mets slugger Pete Alonso has been named the 2019 National League Rookie of the Year.
- As a tribute to the 24-year-old, the MLB released an emotional video in which Alonso reflects on "What The Good Life Means to Me."
- In the video, Alonso - who paced the NL with 53 home runs during the 2019 season - reads from an essay he wrote five years ago about his "unrealistic" dream of reaching the majors while clips of him playing baseball as a child flash on the screen.
- "I've done the math. I know the odds," Alonso narrates. "But I also know that the moment I step into the box is when I feel most like myself: a goofy kid who crushes baseballs. That is the good life."
- The video wraps with a shot of Alonso crying in disbelief with the words "Welcome to The Good Life, Pete," written across the screen.
- Check out the full video below:
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
- Read more:
- 6 biggest winners and losers in college basketball this week
- Carli Lloyd scored 2 goals in Vlatko Andonovski's first USWNT game as head coach, and the performance could support her bid to start at the 2020 Olympics
- Projected No. 1 pick in the 2020 NBA draft James Wiseman has been ruled ineligible, but court rules he can still play
- With the Warriors crumbling, there's officially a new most hated team in the NBA
- Suresh Raina retires from international cricket, 'joins MS Dhoni in his journey'
- M S Dhoni retires from International cricket, will continue to play IPL
- Arunachal CM launches entrepreneurship plan to boost economy
- Meghalaya has set up task force to revive economy: Sangma
- Google may replace Duo video calling app with Meet