The Tokyo Olympics could still get cancelled, its boss said just 3 days before the opening ceremony
- The head of the
Tokyo 2020organizing committee has not ruled out a last second cancellation of the Games.
- 71 cases of
COVID-19have already been linked with the Olympics.
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympics are set to begin on Friday with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium.
Speaking at a press conference ahead of the games, Toshiro Muto said he would watch infection numbers and was prepared to hold discussions with organizers if necessary.
The number of infections linked to the Games has risen to 71, according to a report from the Associated Press.
"We can't predict what will happen with the number of coronavirus cases. So we will continue discussions if there is a spike in cases." said Muto.
"We have agreed that based on the coronavirus situation, we will convene five-party talks again. At this point, the coronavirus cases may rise or fall, so we will think about what we should do when the situation arises."
More follows ...
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade
- Paytm stock hits lower circuit after it shifts focus to big ticket loans
- NCDs may offer a higher interest rate than fixed deposits but experts advise caution