UFC fighter Andre Muniz snaps MMA legend Ronaldo Souza's arm with an unforgettable but brutal submission
- UFC fighter Andre Muniz broke MMA legend Ronaldo Souza's arm with a brutal submission Saturday.
- "I didn't want to break his arm but, unfortunately, that was the situation," Muniz said.
- See the disturbing footage right here. WARNING - GRAPHIC VIDEO.
Middleweight fighters Muniz and Souza fought in the preliminary card finale on ESPN+, which was broadcast in front of 16,005 fans inside the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.
Scheduled for three, five-minute rounds, the match only lasted three minutes and 59 seconds as Muniz caught Souza with an armbar from bottom guard.
As Muniz tightened his grip, a snap of a bone could be clearly heard on video. Despite the brutal injury, Souza appeared unfazed as he stood up with his limb dangling awkwardly from its hinges.
A medical professional held Souza's broken arm together before chaperoning him backstage while Muniz was announced as the fight's winner.
WARNING - GRAPHIC VIDEO:
-ESPN MMA (@espnmma) May 16, 2021
Muniz said he was particularly delighted with submitting Souza because Jacare is a fourth-degree black belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu.
"I had to work on my jiu jitsu twice as hard for this one because I knew I'd face one of the highest levels of jiu-jitsu in MMA, and I had to be ready," said Muniz in a statement sent to Insider.
"I'm a huge fan of Jacare. I've followed his career for a long time so it hasn't really hit me yet that I beat him. It's unbelievable what I did today. I didn't want to break his arm but, unfortunately, that was the situation. I knew he wouldn't tap.
"To submit any opponent is good, to submit a black belt is better, [but] to submit a legend is unbelievable. I have no words to describe what I'm feeling right now. I just want to wish Jacare a speedy recovery."
With victory, Muniz advanced his pro MMA record to 21 wins (four knockouts, 14 submissions, and three decisions) against four losses.
- Female African elephants evolved toward being tuskless over just a few decades as poachers sought ivory
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- Reliance Industries' net profit crosses ₹15,000 crore in September quarter
- Reliance Retail's revenue has fallen short of its own record by ₹2,000 crore
- Reliance confirms JioPhone Next will be launched in time for Diwali
- SEBI approves Paytm’s $2.2 billion IPO, company explores November listing
- Indian Broadcasting & Digital Foundation re-elects K Madhavan as its President