Video footage from a UFC women's flyweight match shows the devastating, fight-ending effect a big shot to the body can have
- A photo and a video clip from the UFC's ongoing Fight Island festival in Abu Dhabi shows the devastating, fight-ending quality a big shot to the body can have.
- Jessica Andrade and Katlyn Chookagian fought a flyweight match inside the behind-closed-doors Flash Forum on Saturday.
- Andrade closed the show inside a round when she dug a huge punch into her opponent's body, forcing Chookagian to wince and retreat.
- Watch the finish below.
FIGHT ISLAND — Video footage from a UFC women's flyweight match shows the devastating, fight-ending effect a huge shot to the body can have.
It all went down during the co-main event between Jessica Andrade and Katlyn Chookagian. They fought behind closed doors Saturday at the Flash Forum on Fight Island, a quarantined area of the United Arab Emirates that the Abu Dhabi culture and tourism board purpose-built in conjunction with the UFC.Andrade made history by becoming the first woman in the UFC to win in three separate weight classes when she defeated Chookagian in the opening round of their 125-pound bout.
Andrade varied her strikes. She landed shots on Chookagian's head and body in equal measure, setting up a buzzer-beating finish.The ending arrived when Andrade landed a body punch that made Chookagian retreat and turn her back on the fight and her opponent.
After a moment of confusion as it was not clear whether the fight was over, Andrade ran at Chookagian and sought the stoppage.Watch it here:
—UFC Canada (@UFC_CA) October 18, 2020"I hit her with a punch on her stomach and she yelled out and turned around, and for a second I thought that the fight could have been over," Andrade said after the win.
"But she turned around, so I said it's not over, and I went in again and kept hitting her and then the referee stopped it.
"It was really fun, I had a really good fight week."With the win, Andrade advanced her pro MMA record to 21 wins (eight knockouts, seven submissions, and six decisions) against eight losses.
- Read more:
- Brian Ortega produced a Muay Thai masterclass to dominate Korean Zombie and steal the show on Fight Island
- A fast-rising 24-year-old fighter showed off his raw power by smacking his opponent around the Octagon in brutal fashion
- Said Nurmagomedov forces a 51-second knockout with some of the fastest, nastiest ground-and-pound you'll see on Fight Island
- A Canadian fighter called Gillian Robertson messed up her opponent's eye and said later that she was really happy she did that
- Jun Yong Park shattered a UFC record during a merciless battering on Fight Island
- Guram Kutateladze scored an upset victory over an unbeaten fighter but refused to accept the win, saying: "It wasn't my fight."
- A 26-year-old American on Fight Island is rumored to have had more street fights than Jorge Masvidal and Kimbo Slice combined
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days