Weston McKennie became the top American goalscorer in Italian soccer history, then celebrated by pretending to be Harry Potter
- Weston McKennie became the top American goalscorer in Serie A history Monday as Juventus beat Crotone.
- He has scored a modest four goals for Juventus in Serie A, a tally that is more than any other American in Italy.
- He then celebrated by pretending to be Harry Potter.
Weston McKennie became the greatest American goalscorer in Italian soccer history, then celebrated by pretending to be Harry Potter.
McKennie, 22, scored Juventus' third goal following a Cristiano Ronaldo brace as it beat Crotone 3-0 on Monday to move to third in the Serie A table.
The strike was McKennie's fourth in Serie A this season, a modest total, but one that makes him the highest-scoring American in the division's history - likely reflecting the paucity of American soccer talent that has graced Italian football.
He has also scored a single Champions League goal for Juve, bringing his overall total to five goals.
Current USMNT captain Michael Bradley scored three times for Chievo and AS Roma between 2011 and 2013, while US soccer Hall of Famer Alexi Lalas scored twice for Calcio Padova during the 1994-95 season.
Following the goal, McKennie celebrated by pretending be Harry Potter, producing a spell with an imaginary wand.
He has celebrated of all his Juventus goals so far in the same manner.
—B/R Football (@brfootball) February 22, 2021
After scoring in Juventus' win over Bologna on January 19, McKennie, who is on-loan at the Italian club from FC Schalke, explained to DAZN the reason behind his unique celebration.
"I am actually a big Harry Potter fan," he said. "I have a tattoo on my hand, so it was a magic spell."
- Apple Music users don’t have to deal with FOMO — here’s how to get Spotify Wrapped-like 2021 highlights
- Another smartphone from a popular Chinese manufacturer burst into flames, this time it’s the Poco M3
- NBCUniversal launches on-demand streaming service hayu
- Solana, Cardano, Polkadot and others — here’s a quick look at why these crypto tokens are being touted as ‘Ethereum Killers’
- Uber now lets you book rides on WhatsApp in Lucknow — slated to roll out in more Indian cities soon