These 19 elite athletes are vegan - here's what made them switch their diet
November 1 is World Vegan Day.
From a healthy decrease in cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart disease risk to weight loss, there seem to be plenty of health benefits to ditching dairy, meat, and eggs.
A recent study even showed that a plant-based vegan diet could help people with type 2 diabetes manage weight and blood sugar levels.
However, one thing that many people worry about when going vegan is getting enough protein.
Surprisingly, many top athletes - including world champions, martial artists, and an Olympic weightlifter - don't seem even slightly worried about getting enough protein from their vegan diets.
Business Insider has compiled a list of world-class vegan athletes who are at the top of their game, and have a fully vegan lifestyle to thank for it.
From soccer players to weightlifters, and basketball stars to a prominent racing champion, scroll on to discover 19 athletes who are vegan - and what made each of them switch to a plant-based diet.
Bobbie Edsor contributed to an earlier version of this article.
Venus Williams — Tennis
Lewis Hamilton — Formula 1
Colin Kaepernick — Football
Kyrie Irving — Basketball
Scott Jurek — Ultramarathon
Jermain Defoe — Soccer
David Haye — Boxing
Fabian Delph — Soccer
Barny du Plessis — Bodybuilding
Hannah Teter — Snowboarding
Chris Smalling — Soccer
Kendrick Yahcob Farris — Weightlifting
Tia Blanco — Surfing
Nate Diaz — Mixed martial arts
Meagan Duhamel — Skating
Timothy Shieff — Freerunning
Jack Lindquist — Cycling
Abel "Killa" Trujillo — Mixed martial arts.
Jack Wilshere — Soccer
- At least 21 people, mostly teens, were found dead in a South Africa bar. None of them had any visible wounds.
- Lay’s, Kurkure and Bingo are taking over Indian snacks like Aloo Bhujia, Murukku
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Meet Akash Ambani — new chairman of Reliance Jio and owner of Mumbai Indians
- Best apps for Instagram hashtags and captions
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- Maha crisis: Thackeray appeals to the rebels to come back
- Tata Motors to increase price of its commercial vehicle segment from July 1