Square beats on first-ever earnings, stock pops
It's an overall beat and Square shares are up 2% in after hours.Here are the most important numbers:
Revenue: $374 million (up 49% from last year's quarter) vs $343.2 million estimatedGross payment volume, the total dollar amount of card payment transactions Square processes, was $10.2 billion, up 47% year-over-year. Adjusted revenue was $135 million, a 64% increase from last year.
Revenue from its software and data products, including the cash-advancing service Square Capital, more than tripled to $22 million compared to the same period of last year. The company is still unprofitable with an operating loss of $47.8 million.It gave adjusted revenue guidance in the range of $132 million to $137 million for the next quarter. This number is considered more importance because it excludes the impact of its partnership deal with Starbucks, which is set to expire later this year.Square had a bumpy ride as a public company since its IPO in November.
It lost half of its value in its IPO pricing and then popped 45% on its first day of trading. In early February, its share price dropped below its $9 IPO price, and although it's recovered most of its value, it's still trading below the first-day closing price of $13.07 a share.
One big question mark around Square is how CEO Jack Dorsey's dual role as Twitter CEO is affecting the company. Although Dorsey says it's manageable, some investors question the viability of his unorthodox work schedule.
- Air conditioner and cooling brand Voltas India eyes double digit growth this summer
- Gautam Adani and Mukesh Ambani cumulatively lost nearly $7 billion as the markets plunged
- Dr. Reddy’s, TCS, Bandhan Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 13
- Sushil Chandra appointed as Chief Election Commissioner with effect from April 13
- TCS has broken many records in the last three months — but that isn't good enough for the market