Square sinks after Paypal acquires iZettle to better compete in payments
- Square shares are lower after Paypal announced it will acquire iZettle, a European fintech startup.
- iZettle will allow Paypal to compete better in the point-of-sale business where Square previously had a large advantage.
- Watch Square trade in real-time here.
Square shares are down more than 4% in Friday after Paypal announced it will acquire European fintech company iZettle for $2.2 billion.
The acquisition of iZettle, which produces mini credit card readers for smartphones and tablets, would help Paypal compete better in the point-of-sale business where Square has historically had an advantage. Adding iZettle to the arsenal also allows Paypal to give itself more of an international presence while offering its merchants a more streamlined payments solution that allows transactions in-store and online.
Square is up 46% this year.
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India