Stan Lee's former manager was arrested on elder abuse charges after allegedly trying to control his money before his death
Greg Doherty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
- Stan Lee's former business manager Keya Morgan was arrested on elder abuse charges.
- Before Lee's death in November, Morgan allegedly controlled who could get near him and tried to manipulate his estate.
- Police say he pocketed hundreds of thousands of dollars and manipulated Lee during his mental decline before his death.
- Morgan denies the charges.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A former business manager of Stan Lee was arrested Saturday on elder abuse charges involving the late comic book legend.Keya Morgan was taken into custody in Arizona on an outstanding arrest warrant after being charged by Los Angeles County prosecutors earlier this month.Advertisement
Morgan faces felony charges including theft, embezzlement, forgery or fraud against an elder adult, and false imprisonment of an elder adult. A misdemeanor count also alleges elder abuse.
Authorities say Morgan sought to capitalize on the Marvel Comic mastermind's wealth and exert influence over Lee even though he had no authority to act on his behalf. Lee died in November at the age of 95.Read more: 'Vultures' are reportedly picking apart Marvel icon Stan Lee's millions - here's everything we know about the bizarre situation
Police say Morgan pocketed more than $262,000 from autograph signing sessions Lee did in May 2018. Authorities say Morgan at one point also took Lee from his Hollywood Hills home to a Beverly Hills condominium "where Morgan had more control over Lee."
Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Attorney Alex Kessel has said Morgan has never abused or taken advantage of Lee. Kessel said in an email on Saturday that he had been in contact with prosecutors to arrange for Morgan to surrender on Tuesday.
"It is unfortunate that the DA and police did not honor our commitment to surrender next week and arrested him," Kessel said in an email.Morgan's bail has been set at $300,000. He will eventually be extradited to Los Angeles to face the charges.Advertisement
- Read more:
- 'Vultures' are reportedly picking apart Marvel icon Stan Lee's millions - here's everything we know about the bizarre situation
- Police are investigating claims of elder abuse suffered by Marvel legend Stan Lee, and it's just the latest turn in a strange saga
- Stan Lee has made 57 cameos in the Marvel universe - here they all are
- Delhi records 13,00 new COVID-19 cases
- Here are 10 things that Elon Musk-backed OpenAI’s new language model GPT-3 can do
- Heavy to very heavy rainfall likely in parts of Maharashtra: IMD
- Goa to get second COVID-19 facility in Ponda, tweets CM Sawant
- Here’s a model stock portfolio for the ‘moderate’ risk-taker